Monday, October 27, 2014

Cardcaptor Sakura Personal Review!

Disclaimer:
May contain spoilers.



So this week I finished the anime Cardcaptor Sakura!

I've been wanting to watch it for a loong time, but since it's 70 episodes
I always postponed it for shorter anime series.

Surprisingly, watching this series, went faster then expected, 
and the same goes with how much I liked it.

But first of all...
Cardcaptor Sakura is about a girl named Sakura, which is in 4-5th grade of elementary school.
One day she goes down to the basement and her dads library, to vacuum, manage to drop a book, and allot of cards, Clow Cards, suddenly falls out and fly away. She meets the guardian of the book, Kero, and her mission now is to collect all the cards, before they end up in the wrong hands.

Clow cards are magical cards, summoning different elements or actions.

That's the story up to episode 45 or so, and I was so sure the series was done, 
only that I knew there was supposed to be 70 episodes!

The main characters are:

Kinomoto, Sakura

Sakura is the main character a 10-12 year old girl, cheerful and energetic girl.
She's sporty and kind, extremely scared of horror stories, and in love with
Yukito


Keroberos

KeroChan is the guardian of the Clow Cards,
and Sakuras supporter. He knows everything about the cards, and helps 
Sakura capturing the cards. Even tho Kero is wise, he's also pretty childish,
a biiiig foodie and a gamer.
Daidouji, Tomoyo

Tomoyo is Sakuras best friend, the daughter of a wealthy family. 
Tomyo is a elegant, cute girl which sews Sakuras costumes for 
her clow card missions, and films her, in the actions.

Li, Syaoran

Syaoran is a distant relative to the creator of 
the Clow Cards. He's part of the sorcerers clan in Hong Kong,
and in the beginning he's fighting against Sakura 
trying to collect Clow Cards himself.


But two main supporting characters (in my opintion) are:

Kinomoto, Touya

Touya is Sakuras big brother. It seems like he'sin high school, 17 years old.
Touya is always making fun of Sakura, but 
also really protective. He has a preey strong connection to Yukito,
and shows signs of knowing Sakuras secret pretty early.

Tsukishiro, Yukito

Yukito is Touyas bestfriend, and Sakuras crush.
His kind and careing, and kind of a super human

Yue

Yue is the other guardian of the Clow cards, 
but doesn't appear until the middle of the anime.
He's referred to as the moon, and is the judge of the next master of Clow Cards.

Li, Meiling

Meiling is Syaorans cusin and "fiancee". She's
madly in love with Sayaoran, and follows him everywhere.
She does not have any magical powers, but knows martial arts.
Mailing appears as an annoying kid, with no real purpose.

Mizuki, Kaho

Appears in the anime as a substitute teacher at Sakuras school.
Sakura instantly feels connected with her, while Syaoran dislikes her.
Kaho seems included in the hunt of Clow Cards, but we don't get much
info about who she is and why she helps Sakura and her friends.

Clow Reed

Clow was a magician that created the Clow Cards, Keroberos and Yue.
Clow merged western and eastern magic in his cards.
Sadly we meet this character once, and get pretty
little info about him throughout the anime.


As I said I was suprised by this anime. I thought it was gonna be much like Sailor moon, (I haven't seen Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura as a kid) where I think it was super boring, with a million episodes.
Cardcaptor Sakura was charming, exciting, and funny. 
I think Sakura's personality fits well with her age, and 
I even felt pretty nostalgic when I was in that age,
and was in love :P





It's also allot of comedy, especially Kero, and situations of Sakuras classmates, 
and the identification of the Clow Cards makes me really interested, how they work, how their physical appearance look like, and how the card look like.

This anime also gave me several surprises storywise.
As mention, how I really thought the series were gonna end at episode 45.
And how charcters get more involved than what you expected.

The series aired from 1998 to 2000, and you can see this in the quality of the anime.
The colors is kinda bland, but the animation has a nice flow, both movement and expression but alos effects. One BIG drawback tho is, when you are introduced to Keros real form!
This realistic animation of a lion, does not work well in my opinion, 
and I couldn't wait for him to switch back to his chibi form.

The ending was also no dissapointment, I was so engaged, I got chills,
tears where dropping and I could not sit still in my chair.
This was in short the first long anime series I really loved,
and I'm so sad it's over!

All in all I'm very pleased about this anime, and I'm happy I finally watched it.
I really recommend it to you, and please comment what you think :D




Follow on Bloglovin

Some info help form:
MyAnimeList

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow by Email